Welcome!!!

Welcome to my blog. I try to be honest, a complete open book. I talk about things that many would hide. I feel God has called me to do so, to hopefully reach other people who need it!

Saturday, November 19, 2011

I Asked for That Already

A little over a year ago was the first REALLY scary moment of being a mom. The day that Adrien fell off a bar stool and passed out. Then, just a few short months ago was another scary day when Darien fell over and hit his head so hard he basically had a seizure. Both events were equally horrifying. They were two of the most scary days I've ever experienced. Well, today I believe I really experience the scariest day of being a mom, thus far.

Jorden has been sick. He's congested and raspy and has been coughing. I took him to his 2 month check-up, just 2 days after being in the ER, and asked his Dr for the medicine to use in a nebulizer. I was told it was unnecessary because the inhaler should do enough. Seeing as how we SHOULD be able to put faith in our medical care, I didn't push the issue. Less than 48 hours later I ended up calling an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

Because I was told he was okay, I went ahead and kept my plans for the night, leaving Jorden with my friends teenage daughter while we all went out. I gave him all his meds, including his inhaler, before we left. I worried the entire time but trusted the doctors assessment of him.

After being out until really late, having some drinks and not getting much sleep I was awoken very early by the sound of Jorden coughing. This coughing wasn't just a simple cough. It was cough after cough with hardly any time between for breathing. After the girl hands him to me I watch as he coughs, not being able to get any breaths in between, causing him to turn blue and then purple pretty quickly. That moment has so far been the scariest moment of being a mom.

I get my husband out there, he takes him and goes to the bathroom for the hot water vapor while I call an ambulance. They get there, check him out and without hesitation tell us they are taking us to the German Children's hospital. I, of course, was okay with this. When we arrive, the doctor swabs his nose and throat to be sure there is no bacteria keeping him from getting better. They also start a breathing treatment while we wait.

After listening to him, doing a thorough check and negative labs for bacteria, she gives us our instructions. We are to give him breathing treatments 3x's a day with a nebulizer. Huh. Exactly what I asked for just the other day. Otherwise not much was said, but it's obviously in his lungs if they are giving me the breathing treatments.

Since getting the meds for the nebulizer and using it, he sounds so much better than he did before. He is raspy but nothing like he was. He is even happier, less fussy and all around just acting like a fairly normal baby. It is pretty sad that I now have more confidence in the German medical care than I do in the military medical care. They've (the American doctors) proven once again that they stink and don't really know what they are talking about.

I'm just sick of them proving this when it's my child's health that is in question.

1 comment:

  1. When Mason was born, I wasn't able to hold him for the first 36 hours of his life. I was only able to touch my little guys feet. He had ti be placed under the "hood" to force him to breath in. I remember the song that was playing the first time I held my lil man, Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles. Everytime I hear that song, I remember that very moment.

    He had to stay an extra day in the hospital, and I was told he was going to be just fine. That he breathed in amniotic fluid and he was healthy as a horse. Then he turned a week old. I woke up and he was foaming from the mouth, mode and eyes, lips were blue and he wasn't breathing. I had to do CPR on my 7 day old baby. He was rushed via ambulance to the hospital and they couldn't medically diagnose him. They believe I caught SIDS moments before it took his life.

    I know exactly what you are going through, it isn't anything I would wish my worst enemy to to through. Feeling helpless, not knowing if he was going to make it or not.

    ReplyDelete

I like to know what people have to say about my writing! Share your thoughts!